Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Backwards or Forwards? I am not this flexible

Each day I get a Story of the Day from the StoryPeople. This is what arrived in my inbox this morning:
"Bending over backwards to keep from going forwards."
Today this quote particularly seems true for me. I want to move forward but I'm hesitant. What exactly does moving forward entail for me? It's really two options:
  1. Staying and getting a grown up job (which I'm currently working but only part-time and endlessly waiting for a full-time position. Sometimes I think it's wishful thinking that I'll even be considered for that position). 
  2. Leaving. Hit the road. Booking a ticket to Asia until Christmas. Or moving to the mountains. 
I've put in all this time and hard work to get myself this part-time position with a company and a culture I love. I love what I do and I love going to work. Not many of my friends can honestly say that. But at the same time, I'm young and in my 20s. I still desire freedom, little responsibility and the opportunity to explore. I'll have a job and career well into my 60s and probably will still be working in my 70s. So I'm torn. I just don't know.

No comments: